The adolescent years can be an intense time, full of rapid physical, emotional, and social change. In today’s world there is also the added pressure of constant scrutiny through social media. Understandably, this can create severe emotional distress and lead to unhealthy behaviors. Your child may be dealing with cyberbullying, feeling inadequate compared to others their age, or succumbing to peer pressure in an effort to gain acceptance in the new world they are experiencing as an adolescent. Unfortunately, these pressures can manifest themselves through drinking or drugs.
Our sole purpose for the Adolescent Program at Solstice, is to inform, instruct, and support our youth when they encounter difficulties in these areas. We provide treatment and counseling with the primary focus on improving the health, well-being and overall functioning of adolescents.
LEVELS OF CARE
At Solstice, we offer the following three levels of care:
- Intensive Outpatient – approximately six hours each week of outpatient services designed specifically for your adolescent to address any significant unhealthy behaviors
- Outpatient – approximately two hours each week of outpatient services designed for young people who may be in the early stages of unhealthy behavior
- Early Intervention – one hour per week of preventative education in order to take the adolescent off the path of unhealthy behavior and guide them toward healthier ways to manage their stress
Understanding Risk Factors
The adolescent program offered at Solstice is designed to gain awareness and mitigate risk factors for addiction and related mental health issues with the goal of preventing unhealthy behavior from starting or continuing. Our objective is to help our youth increase their ability to function at school and home in a productive manner while improving their ability to manage the stresses of life as an adolescent.
The tools they are given help them improve their emotional and mental health while gaining a better awareness and understanding of themselves. The road is not always an easy one, but the application of the concepts, ideas, and life skills provided will improve their self-esteem and make them less vulnerable to the temptations of self-medicating with alcohol or drugs.
Specific Focus Areas
In addition, Solstice has created the new Young Adult Group to focus on skills building, interactive education and interpersonal learning. Participants learn effective strategies to manage stress at home and in school as well as skills that will help them manage anxiety, depression and emotions that may make them uncomfortable. The program also explains
- The dangers of drug use
- How social media can increase their stress levels and how it could lead them into substance abuse if they do not develop the tools to effectively manage their thoughts emotions and feelings.
- Communication strategies are also discussed to improve the communication between the young adult, their parents, peers and authority figures.
Warning Signs of Addiction
We understand that many parents may not notice the warning signs that their child may be heading down the path of addiction. As adults our own busy lives can sometimes interfere with noticing the often subtle changes in our children’s actions and behaviors. If your child is exhibiting any of the following behaviors independently or especially in any combination, know that we are here to help:
- Withdrawal from family activities
- Sudden changes in behavior
- Uncharacteristic and/or dramatic reactions to normal situations
- Deterioration of grades
- Skipping classes
- Sudden drops in motivation, productivity or morale
- Depression, mood instability and mood swings
- Noticeable uncharacteristic physical changes
If you have noticed any of these signs in your adolescent, contact Solstice Counseling & Wellness Center to discuss the adolescent programs we have available. With programs ranging from early intervention to intensive outpatient services, we can provide you with the assistance you need designed specifically for your child.